Ismail Sanusi: W3 Curate

Original Twenty-six items

The crossed-out items are to be replaced.

1. Suitcase
  2. Rice Cooker
  3. Glasses
  4. Doorag
  5. Dressing Gown
  6. Toolbox
  7. Pencil case
  8. Flask
  9. Family picture
  10. Super Malt
  11. Baby Christmas tree
  12. Laptop
  13. Weights
  14. Alarm Clock
  15. Earphones
  16. Off Black Tea
  17. Documents
  18. Ironing board
  19. Xbox One
  20. TV
  21. Slippers
  22. Wallet
  23. Lucky Watch
  24. Phone
  25. Cocoa Butter
  26. Stress ball

Revised list of 26 items

The 13 new Items are based on things I interactive daily and have a deeper meaning to me. Items 14 to 26 are the added items.

1. Glasses
  2. Doorag
  3. Dressing Gown
  4. Flask
  5. Laptop
  6. Alarm clock
  7. Earphones
  8. Ironing Board
  9. Slippers
  10. Wallet
  11. Lucky Watch
  12. Phone
  13. Cocoa butter
  14. Toothbrush
  15. Desk
  16. Bag
  17. Dark Knight Poster
  18. Book Binding Kit
  19. Keyboard Mouse
  20. Camera Stand
  21. Headphones
  22. Office chair
  23. Skipping Rope
  24. Vests
  25. Mirror
  26. Nail Clipping Kit

Audio Recording

After testing all the recording options I have I found that simply using my phone was the better choice, it has an app that is capable of isolating individual voices in a conversation, very useful when I’m working with one mic and I want to make some edits using Adobe Audition.

Film Recording

The visual representation of the exhibits(items) will be through a video recording of each object illuminated by shifting coloured lights within a dark room and black backdrop. I felt that still, images were a bit boring hence the recording, the lights were inspired by a previous project where I did something similar but for the purpose of photography.

images of the previous project:

I would like to have photographs of each of the items as a thumbnail for each video but to also serve as a typology set on a white canvas, which could be the web page background.

Sketch of typology on website and website concept:

Process

I’ll use to lamps with coloured translucent objects to create the light show, I want a dynamic and intense shine and glow to radiate from the object so ill be holding the lamps really close to the item and also moving them around franticly to get a blend of colours. Each item has its own texture and behaves differently when reflecting light so this method will be adjusted to suit each of the items.

Photo of the lamps I am using:

I am using a camera stand to hold my phone still while it records, the stand will be adjusted depending on the size of the item so I will have to organize them in order of size to minimize the number of adjustments to the camera’s position.

Photo of my tripod:

I’ll be using the slow-motion program on my phone’s camera to slow the movement of the lights and make the shimmering last long. If I had more time with this, I would record each object from multiple angles and have fade in transitions which I will now use in transitioning between items for the purpose of the project.

Quick Revisions

I have removed the ironing board and have replaced it with my iron, they both have different functions but I feel the iron is more essential to me as the iron does not need the board to do its job, it is also much easier to manage.

Photos of ironing-board vs iron:

I initially had my family members present in the description’s audio recordings, but I found it hard to keep them on the subject and having multiple voices took away from the calm atmosphere I was trying to produce. They did help refine my questions and build my recording confidence.

The recordings are being edited I will have one item recording up before the whole video because of render time bare with me. I’m also adding the audio tests on a SoundCloud link to an unlisted playlist.

3 thoughts on “Ismail Sanusi: W3 Curate”

1. Hi 🙂
    I think this is a really strong idea, such proof of how you can use everyday objects to have different functions! I think you’ve really changed the space to exhibit through the lighting and background.
    I look forward to seeing the film outcome!
    Jasmine

2. Hi Ismail! Really interesting image creations from the lights and positioning of the items. I like the image composition you did with the banana and cup. Looking forward to the outcome of your project and what audio sounds you would have created. Have a nice week!

3. Hello Ismail,

Your project is very interesting. I really like how you used items like the Listerine bottle and the plastic bags to create the colours for the light show. It is a very creative method to create these light effects.

I am really looking forward to seeing the final outcome 🙂