4 thoughts on “Freya Kirk / Catalogue”

1. Freya,

The sock catalog gives me a weird sense of comfort. I enjoyed looking into the structures, it reminds me of “the power of 10” video – when you look closer and closer at an object.
    The publication successfully communicates the content. I like that each method has space.

2. Your methods of translation of the simple sock have yielded some exciting results! I would like to know which you found to be more successful, which do you feel worked? Or which were not as successful? A reflective statement would assist the viewer (me and your group) to get an understanding of your position on this work.

The photocopy has such a nice quality, it shows the materiality of the sock — the folds, imperfections and tactility of the fabric. The patterns in which you have redrawn them in the computer have that vector ‘flatness’ that often a computer drawn output has — it seems to lose any evidence of the material or even the foot! It becomes an abstraction / representation devoid of the ‘hand’! If you know what I mean!

All of the translations are interesting though, the shape / silhouette of socks, the colour and material breakdown. It’s interesting that the washing machine still appears, the actual foot is distinctly missing.

Moving forward, do consider adding reflection to the procedure, as its difficult to get your take on the task; did you like it? If so why? Did you not like it? If so why? Contextualise and reflect upon the process. I am excited to see how you respond to ‘Curate’— will we see more foot coverings?!

3. Hi Freya

The way you work with items looks nice, the diversity of socks patterns are quite interesting, every patterns seems like different personalities for different socks, also the drawing and scanning are really good, i feel that will be better if you organize them in a publication and write a little bit story with them.

4. Hey Freya,

Love the first photo! It’s cool to see the socks in context, ie. in the washing machine and in your shoe.
    It’s almost like you’re paying homage to all your socks, seeing value in objects that we typically see as ‘normal’ and perhaps expendable. You’ve clearly interrogated them and considered them individually as well as collectively.
    Well done! 🙂
    Em