Written time, week 2

Here’s the link to the pdfs of my publication and process (sketches) :

< https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wf64vUY1-sviVwp1zJSCSz6rI3etlAvG/view?usp=sharing >

If that link doesn’t work , here is another link :

< https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1C-ww5Ak2yYE16i3v53KaQ_ahhTbKX32iypiyZWbgPkg/edit?usp=sharing >

3 thoughts on “Written time, week 2”

1. The narrative that you have built-in this catalogue is really personal and I like the way that you have combined reflections on these letters along with the facts about them, creating an experience as if the letters are in front of us and we could hold them. Moving forward with your work it could be interesting to explore other methods of presenting these letters such as drawings or extracting the type and producing your own typography based on the purpose of the letter. Reflecting on the letter you could even consider drawing yourself at the stage in your life when you received the letter, like a visual diary covering your life.

The way you organised your pdf is really clean, all the info is really clear, working in harmony with the imagery. I like the way you have allowed the type to interact with the images, changing the orientation and using different shaped and sized images. Compositionally your work is really strong and the mockup of a book at the end is a concept you could explore. For me including lots of personal things isn’t always easy, your work is providing a lot of inspiration for me and I look forward to seeing it develop even further.

2. You’ve kept a consistent style of your publication from last week. The same narrative was kept with more details added into it. The publication gives audiences lots of useful physical information which is good. I really like the composition and the font you’ve chosen ((e.g. the post notes from your classmates in 2005.)) I can image many people were surrounding you and talking to you. You can definitely keep it as your style and develop it. I feel like it would be playful if you can add more visual based methods of translation.

3. How you have approached this task is almost forensic, a thorough enquiry into your past, and the moments that have affected you. Its autobiographical and reveals a very personal account of your past. As a reader I became entwined in your story — the opening fragment/quote “I wish your mother comes earlier so that you can be happier” is very emotive and invites many questions, and then we see you in New Zealand with new friends and new situations. It is a very personal account and very moving.

Pages 1, 2 and 3 have a much more considered and effective layout of the material, in the subsequent pages the layout and information hierarchy becomes less focused. How could you begin to explore more effective and appropriate layouts? Could this be done by hand? The aesthetic of a diary? Or journal? Or an album? What visual languages can you use to fully express your ideas and approach? The typewriter typeface is very appropriate, could this be paired with your handwriting?

Sunghyun, I am excited to see how you can explore task 3 ‘curate’ how can this become an exhibition of your memories? Of your experiences?