Em Brooks – Week two: Catalogue publication

(The publication is supposed to be as double-page spreads, apart from the cover/back cover but it didn’t upload as this!)

During the process of making the Catalogue publication, I found that the openness of the brief was both a blessing and a curse for me; there were so many ways to translate my 3 chosen books, that instead of embracing it I sort of became stumped.

Nevertheless, look out for the small text on some of the pages indicating the different attributes of the novels. If you have any suggestions on how I can further examine my objects, please let me know 🙂

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MeOc2-yoHQZ_C6dOrZ-h9AV6kfLxbqdE/view?usp=sharing

5 thoughts on “Em Brooks – Week two: Catalogue publication”

1. Em,

I enjoyed the publication. It’s very interesting to look at little handwritten notes found in books.
    The categories were a bit unclear, it’s hard to tell which book is where, so maybe some captions would help.
    My favorite page was 8, with three books together, full-bleed image. The typography also looks very fitting there. I think it would make the publication look more unified if you used that technique throughout.

1. Thank you Alena! I’ll definitely take on board the use of full-bleed & typography in the next weekly make.
      Appreciate your feedback 🙂

2. Hi Em

Your work looks nice, the details of each part of the book are quite interesting, i feel you can make digital collages combine the small words together in one or two pages, that will make your publication look better, also you could make a video and combine everything together.

1. Thank you Miao, great idea about combining the small words together. I was thinking of making a video next, maybe that’ll make it easier to collate everything!

3. Em!

In intriguing exploration of the book, from placemaking, to underlining, to printing errors, to the underside to the spine, to how a book reacts to the wind! All very poetic explorations of the book, its form, materiality and limitations! I can feel your frustration though!

Does the presentation take away from fully realising the potential of the ideas? Could a more systematic, neutral and simple layout be more suited? Does the black background work effectively? It brings to mind the wonderful book ‘Thinking with Type’ by Ellen Lupton, and how she articulates approaches to the grid:

http://thinkingwithtype.com/grid/#project-modular-grid

The scans are a great way to capture the books, how could you explore that process further? Em! I feel that you have identified a rich seam that needs further attention, exploration and play! In addition, writing a reflective statement about the outcome, its strengths and weaknesses assist in identifying ways forward.