4 thoughts on “week 3 curate”

1. Really like this week’s outcome!
    It feels like you’ve taken things that you enjoyed doing and worked on from previous weeks to go further with. It’s nice to see the process and the struggle before you find something satisfying. Congrats for not giving up or settling for something easy. I still find there’s something really interesting in your scans that you should delve into but your final pictures work well. The negative is adding something mysterious/almost analytic to your shots, that you may use to find the way you’d like to display your exhibition. I know you said you’d just present them printed as pictures, but it’d still be interesting to know at what scale, on what type of paper (matte, shiny), in line or in column? With the actuals items in front? With locations as captions? With arrows with the names of the objects?
    Since this week was about curating your objects, I believe the curation of your outcome matters as well. There are hundreds of possibilities and I’m sure one of them would suit your project the best! I don’t know if you have a printer at home, if so you could try things out! Otherwise InDesign is a good software to think of layout/scenography, as a first digital exhibition.

2. I’ve always liked your photography outcomes of presenting your objects. i really like the concept of organisation by location. its a really cool way to personalise everyday objects. i think the photos on there own are cool pieces of design, i want to magnify them and zoom in, as they’re such interesting pieces to look at. Maybe look at mockups where you can visualise the pictures as pieces of canvas art at an exhibition.
    I have this weird idea that you could project these images on furniture in the allocated rooms, for example the kitchen photography project this on the fridge, or the desk photography on the desk etc.
    Either way theres so much you can do with this concept, and i’m looking forward to what you create next week.

3. I really really loved the scans and edits that you did for last week’s outcomes so I’m happy to see that you did more! I think that the negative quality really changes the value and significance of these images since it takes them out of the ordinary and it makes it much more personal because this is your style. Therefore, presenting your items like this just reminds the audience that these are your personal items and I think it makes the items seem so much more special. I like the idea of placing these items where they belong (location) instead of the white back drop idea because I feel like the items would feel out of place and they would just be the items as is, where as when you based the items in their “homes” they have a stronger sense of history and story to them. I like your exhibition idea, maybe if you want to make the exhibition more immersive, you could stick the images on the wall and then surround it with UV lights so that they glow, just like how it is when we’re looking at it through a screen. It would also be really cool if you exhibit these items on a table and decorate the space like its your kitchen/bathroom and surround the place with UV lights, bringing the images to life. Of course, this would be quite hard to execute but since we’re in isolation you can let your mind run freeeee!

4. The process log clearly shows the path your work has taken, from using a plain white background and changing it to something more interesting. I agree with Laura in that the location shots are a really interesting way to show your objects in their “natural habitat” (kind of like how the museum works in animal crossing), Its like you’re creating an adventurous narrative from within your own home.!
    How you’ve played with colour is conceptually interesting as well. These are places around your house-places most people feel safe in but the colour inversion turns all these warm hues into neon blue a colour that stands out with the sense of paranoai, going completely against the former. I don;t know why but they really remind me of those thermal images, which are on the rise with fever screenings amidst COVID 19. Bouncing from what Gary said about the “post apocalyptic atmosphere” what if in the exhibit you showed it in a dark narrow room with ominous ambient sound in the background-which somehow relates to each setting? I like the sense of consistency in your location photos, particularly the bird eye shots, it has this sense that you’re being watched. The scans with your hands interacting with the objects are simultaneously nice and menacing (in a cool way) I feel like these could definitely accompany the current images you have in the outcome. Those are of the settings but these are of you engaging with the objects, i feel like converging these two could create a connecting narrative. Also the juxtapositions between the aerial bird eye shots and the worms eye shots of the scans could be a nice combination. Your project has taken a really interesting route so far, I’m looking forward to your stuff next week x.