catalogue – lili fourmestraux

access the pdf of my catalogue (you may have to zoom in)

my collection (here) being centered on objects from my early years, i decided to make my catalogue playful and childlike. not having a scanner or a printer available was a nice challenge that allowed me to go more digital – i usually like to craft with my (bare) hands.

i kept the idea of a very long concertina, like a frieze, to enhance the recurring pattern of the three objects, and to go with my first publication if they were ever to be presented together.

access my tiny tiny written research (you may have to zoom in, again)

5 thoughts on “catalogue – lili fourmestraux”

1. Wow, a really nice publication. I love how you’ve chosen to do the same translations for each object and organised them so. Each translation is different yet mirrors all these childhood activities that I use to do when I was younger. The food translation is such a great idea! You haven’t just created 12 translations for each object, you’ve managed to connect the translations together to produce a running theme, making the whole graphics of it all pleasing to the eye.
    The fluidity, when connecting/overlaying pieces of your work together really works well with your chosen publication.
    Its great to see that you’d continued with the same kind of theme from last week (the font, the front page, the concertina), it makes your work even more satisfying and i can’t wait to see what you produce next week!
    As we’ve already had a look at next weeks project maybe from here you could create some kind of children’s activity book? Taking more of your childhood objects and producing similar or new activities. Turning this publication into something a parent would buy and a child could actually use??

2. I love this! I think this is very clever in how its been done, and has some unique features to it such as the food element, I haven’t seen that! It makes it even more interesting to look at because everything is different. I love that you’ve managed to link the translations to the theme of childhood, with the puzzle pieces, colouring, and dot to dot. I think it makes it quite relatable in a way because most of us if not all of us would have played with those things throughout childhood, so it almost makes your project more open and allows people to interpret the concertina in their own way.

3. I really enjoyed looking through your publication, especially zooming in and reading the calligrams! I’m really impressed by the way you presented the publication, it’s presented in a very neat and professional manner. The way you present the items is very intricate which creates a busy image – this makes me appreciate the choice of the simple white background. All the translations are very distinct and imaginative. I would say that all the translations thematically improve the publication but the ones that especially stand out to me the most are number 2 “connect the dots” and number 6 “colouring”. Observing these translations makes me feel very nostalgic – on this note I especially appreciate the inclusion of pencils themselves in the publication since that’s what the colouring books usually include. I noticed that the first weeks task is presented in the same mock up style as this one, which gives your work a sense of multi-project cohesion. I fail to think of any negatives but if I had to nitpick the work, I would say that no.5 “texture” and no.14 “black & white” doesn’t add to the childhood theme. It doesn’t subtract from the idea but I just don’t see the correlation. Again, that’s just if I HAD to say something, I think you did a really amazing job!

4. Very good work again this week Lili, the finished publication is very well designed and presented. Good ideas for the translation applied to all objects. Strong consistent deign and good use of colour throughout. As you said it aligns perfectly with the look and feel of the publication last week.

Having the same translations applied to each of the 3 chosen objects next to each to each other for comparison was a great idea.

Your process pages are also very nicely put together and presented.

5. The overall visual identity is amazing and the processes are very unique and well though out; I really like the song and food one. I like how you can make all 3 objects and their translations co exist within one document in a way where there is a clear narrative and consistency. The mock-up image contributes to the effectiveness of it, it establishes a clear way of how the outcome would be presented in a printed context. There is definitely a clear reccurring theme of childhood in there especially with the food and connect the dots, what if you used the juices/water of those foods to Paint those objects too? I t hink the mix between these processes and others with less connections to childhood is actually quite interesting to explore as a concept. Why is it that we choose to remnsice only some parts of our chilkdhood? It can also convey how you’re growing up with these objects. Maybe arrange the processes in chronological ways (like start off with food, the 3D typefaces and then go to music…
    Your process log is so clear and organised as well and shows you’ve considered other processes but have had to narrow down due to time.,
    PS: I hope to see carrot bunny in the upcoming projects.